The Parent Leadership Academy: Building Community by Supporting our Children is an initiative of the Division of CommunityAffairs’ Center for Community-Based Partnerships, the faculty andadministrators from the College of Education and the College of HumanEnvironmental Sciences, and has the support of organizations throughout thecommunity. The curriculum of the Parent Leadership Academy embodies aholistic approach for maximizing the leadership potential of parents tocollaborate with educators and become active partners in the education of theirchild and other children in the community. It moves beyond typical activities to help build strongerfamily-school-community partnerships.
1. Parents/guardians-increased knowledgeof school curricula and operations
2. Parents/guardians-appreciation of the challenges facing other parentsand schools
3. Increased parentalinvolvement in school
4. Students-increased academicperformance and personal growth
5. School andcommunity-increased knowledge of the benefits of parental involvement
6. Community building in the local schools and in the communityat-large