Latest News from the Senior Counselor
Hillcrest High School CEEB Code: 012685 - you may need to provide this to register for ACT or SAT or to apply for admission/scholarships.
Transcripts, Applications, Letters of Recommendation:
- 1. Any request for a transcript must be made by completing the Transcript Request Form. Make sure that proper addresses/contact persons are included on the request form. There are copies of the form on the front counter in the office and also can be downloaded under the links "Guidance" and "Forms" on the hillcrest website. Fee is $5 and can be added to your student account or paid to Mrs. Hughes (bookkeeper).
- 2. Please do not run close on deadlines, making requests at the last minute. Requests for transcripts will be processed in a timely fashion, but may not get immediate attention.
- 3. Requests for letters of recommendation should be submitted with plenty of time before the deadline approaches. At least one week prior. Students should supply a completed resume with a request for a letter of recommendation.
The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination. Author Unknown
Welcome to your senior year! Make this your best year yet!
GRADUATION - MONDAY, MAY 20TH - 7:00 P.M. HILLCREST STADIUM
Senior Portrait appointments can be made by calling Lifetouch Studios at 758-6995. Please make sure you have had yours made by October 15th!
Graduation Supplies - Do you have questions? Do you need directions about how to mail or drop off payments for cap&gown/supplies? Call Josten's at 752-7776 after 1:00 p.m.
Shelton Student and Family Tours
Every Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. No Appointment necessary. Meet in the Finanacial Aid Office a few minutes prior to the scheduled tour time.
Shelton State Community College Compass (placement) Testing - Get a head start on summer/fall admissions!
Call 391-2242 to register for a time.
Schelton State Community College
FAFSA and Scholarship Workshops
(for individual help and questions)
Room 1826 - East Entrance
Shelton Admissions - Scholarship Applications
1. You must complete the admission application and receive a student number (S Number) to apply for scholarships.
3. GPA will be verified by the admissions staff with your high school counselor after the scholarship deadline.
4. Scholarships may be submitted online ONLY (no paper copies will be accepted).
6. Scholarship application is MARCH 1, 2013.
7. Answers to questions should be directed to Lisa Waldrop at 391-2959.
Financial Aid Workshops at Shelton
Need individual help with FAFSA.....look for financial aid workshops with dates/times. These will be listed on the Shelton website.
Free Informational Webinars
from Zinch.com. Each of these webinars are at 6:00 p.m. If you are not able to attend the live webinar, sign up at Zinch.com to receive a link to the recorded webinar the following day.
May 7 - ACT Prep Workshop
RECRUITING VISITS/PREVIEW DAYS/CAMPUS VISITS
Auburn University Montgomery - Bridge Program - If you are not traditionally eligible for admission at large four year schools, AUM offers a bridge program for one semester that is designed to meet your needs. Requirements of the program are a 2.3 GPA and 17 or higher on ACT. Application deadlines are April 1 for summer term, June 1 for fall term, and October 1 for spring term.
UAH (University of Alabama Huntsville) Honors Program
- A brochure is available from this website by returning to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and scholarships. For additional information or to schedule a visit visit www.uah.edu
or call 256-824-2773.
Auburn University Ag Exploration Tour
- Students interested in pursuing agriculture-related majors at Auburn are invited for a special visit. To register, visit http://auburn.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV
or contact Amanda Martin at 334-844-4768.
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS/FINANCIAL AID
PARA SUMMER JOBS - Day Camp Counselors, Lifeguards, Sports Scorekeepers and Field Supervisors. Must be 17 years of age. To get complete details and contact information, go to the homepage of this website, click on student/parent resources, and forms. The sooner you apply, the better.
CHOM Summer Volunteers - Do you like working with children. This volunteer opportunity looks great on your resume. The application materials are available by going go to the homepage of this website, click on student/parent resources, and forms. The deadline to submist an application is Tuesday, April 30.
BeautySchool.com Scholarship - Award $2,500 every three months to an aspiring student of the beauty disciplines, including but not limited to: cosmetology, barbering, esthetics, and skine care, nail technology, makup artistry, massage therapy, electrolysis, laser hair removal, permanent makeup artist training, cosmetology instructor trianing, hair braiding, salon and spa management and more. The annual recruting deadlines are April 30, July 31, and October 31st. More information can be dowloaded by returning to the home page, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and forms.
Paul Mitchell Schools Scholarship - If you are considering Paul Mitchell programs, please read carefully about scholarship opportunities. The information and application forms can be dowloaded by returning to the home page, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and forms. The deadlines are one month prior to enrollment.
Inter-Tribal Council of Alabama Workforce Investment Act Program Scholarship for Native Americans. If you reside in Alabama, have a low income, and have a tribal enrollment card, please contact the Inter-Tribal Office at 334-262-4105 or toll free at 888-400-3533 (Monday through Friday, 8-4:30).
Gamma Delta Chapter of Delta Kappa Gamma Scholarship ($250) for young women planning to pursue a college degree and career in education. To download an application with complete details, return to the homepage of this site, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and forms. The deadline to apply is May 1, 2013
Eta Phi Beta Sorority - Gamma Epsilon Chapter - Senior girls may apply. To download an application with complete details, return to the homepage of this site, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and forms. The deadline to apply is May 6, 2013.
Unimin Scholarship Update - I have metnioned the Unimin scholarship to many students. Recently we received information that Unimin will not be able to offer a Hillcrest scholarship. Economic factors and budgetary concerns made it impossible this year, however, they hope to restore this scholarship in the future.
HAI Group - Resident Housing Scholarship - for students who live in public housing. The deadline to apply is April 30, 2013. Students must have a 2.0 GPA or GED to apply. To download an application with complete details, return to the homepage of this site, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and forms.
Other Helpful Info
Great Resources for College Info,
Scholarships, Financial Aid, Etc.
University of Alabama Honors Program - Allison Verhine - 348-5534 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Auburn University - Evan Hicks - 334-844-6530 - email@example.com
Federal Financial Aid - FAFSA4Caster - Measure your eligibility for Federal Student Financial Aid by visiting fafsa4caster.ed.gov. The application for financial aid for the fall of 2011 does not open until January, but you can begin to learn about the process now! For additional information, visit fafsa.gov.
The Christian Connector - website devoted to providing Chritian college information and scholarship - visti www.ChristianConnector.com.
· Scholarship Matching -Sites like Scholarships.com and ScholarshipExperts.com will automatically find scholarships you could be eligible for. Simply fill out a free profile and discover new scholarship opportunities. At CollegeWeekLive, you can research $2.5 million in need and merit based aid from hundreds of participating colleges.
· Major Matching -Discover which majors match your personality and career goals with online quizzes. You can find a free one here. - http://homeworktips.about.com/library/maj/bl_majors_quiz.htm.
- Veterans Administration Benefits - Children of veterans who have died in service or as a result of service-connected disability; who have become permanently and totally disabled as a result of service-connected disability; or who have been listed as missing in action, captured, detained, or interned in line of duty for more than 90 days, may apply for government assistance for college at the local office of Veterans Affairs.
- ACT - The easiest way to register is at http://www.act.org/.
· Planning on college?
Sign-Up for www.CollegeWeekLive.com, the world's largest college fair and online admissions event website. It's free and supported by the U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid office. Register now for free.
At CollegeWeekLive, you can . . .
· Chat live with admissions reps from 300+ colleges- show your interest!
· Find $2.5+ million in financial aid & scholarships from participating colleges
· Hear what campus life is like via student video webcasts from favorite schools
· Get great admissions advice from experts presenting live via video on topics like
"How to write a college application essay" and "How to find scholarships."
· Be eligible to win a $10,000 scholarship from CollegeWeekLive just for logging in!
ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY - If you are considering participation in collegiate sports, please visit ncaa.org to complete an application for eligibility.