Latest News from the Senior Counselor
Hillcrest High School CEEB Code: 012685 - you may need to provide this to register for ACT or SAT or to apply for admission/scholarships.
Transcripts, Applications, Letters of Recommendation:
- 1. Any request for a transcript must be made by completing the Transcript Request Form. Make sure that proper addresses/contact persons are included on the request form. There are copies of the form on the front counter in the office and also can be downloaded under the links "Guidance" and "Forms" on the hillcrest website. Fee is $5 and can be added to your student account or paid to Mrs. Hughes (bookkeeper).
- 2. Please do not run close on deadlines, making requests at the last minute. Requests for transcripts will be processed in a timely fashion, but may not get immediate attention.
- 3. Requests for letters of recommendation should be submitted with plenty of time before the deadline approaches. At least one week prior. Students should supply a completed resume with a request for a letter of recommendation.
The future is not some place we are going to, but one we are creating. The paths are not to be found, but made, and the activity of making them, changes both the maker and the destination. Author Unknown
2014 SENIOR ANNOUNCEMENTS
Welcome to your senior year! Make this your best year yet!
GRADUATION - Saturday, May 17, 2014 - 9:00 a.m. Coleman Coliseum. Graduates arrive at 8:00 a.m.
GRADUATION PRACTICE - Friday, May 16 at 9:00 a.m. at Coleman Coliseum. Practice is mandatory. Any student who does not attend the entire practice will not be allowed to participate in the ceremony. All student fees must be paid by 3:15 p.m. on Thursday, May 15th (in order to participated in graduation).
Shelton College Admission/Scholarship/FAFSA Workshop - Thursday, February 13th, 6:00 p.m. in the Theatre
Shelton representatives will be on hand to provide information about admissions, scholarships, Shelton Summer Studies scholarships, and Federal Financial Aid (FAFSA). Please make plans to attend!
- Do you have questions? Do you need directions about how to mail or drop off payments for cap&gown/supplies? Call Josten's at 752-7776 after 1:00 p.m.
Shelton Student and Family Tours
Every Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. No Appointment necessary. Meet in the Financial Aid Office a few minutes prior to the scheduled tour time.
Shelton Admissions - Scholarship Applications - Applications open in Spring 2014 (deadlines TBA)
1. You must complete the admission application and receive a student number (S Number) to apply for scholarships.
3. GPA will be verified by the admissions staff with your high school counselor after the scholarship deadline.
4. Scholarships may be submitted online ONLY (no paper copies will be accepted).
6. Scholarship application is TBA.
7. Questions can be directed to Lisa Waldrop at 391-2959.
Financial Aid Workshops at Shelton
Need individual help with FAFSA.....look for financial aid workshops with dates/times. These will be listed on the Shelton website.
Big Change to Academic Scholarship Deadline
at The University of Alabama
The deadline has been extended to December 15th. ACT scores from December will be able to be considered if all other application materials are received by the December 15th deadline. This means one more opportunity to increase your score!
Are you considering a Military Academy for college? A congressional nomination is required. For more information from the office of Congresswoman Terri Sewell, return to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, then click on guidance. Deadlines are important in application process.
RECRUITING VISITS/PREVIEW DAYS/CAMPUS VISITS
Hillcrest Recruiting Visitors
University of Alabama
February 3, 2014
February 14, 2014
March 10, 2014
For more information or to register to attend, visit universitydays.ua.edu
Auburn Engineering Day (E-Day) - E-Day is the official open house visit for students interested in pursuing engineering at Auburn. The event will be held on Friday, February 28th. To receive additional information or register, visit www.eng.auburn.edu or contact Jessica Taylor at firstname.lastname@example.org.
University of Mobile Visit Days - visit www.umobile.edu - you can receive a $2,000 scholarship for registering and attending a visit day at University of Mobile!
Covenant College (Lookout Mountain, GA) - Fall Preview Days
Spring - March 27-29, 2013
SCAD (Savannah College of Art and Design) - Preview Days
Atlanta - January 11, March 1, April 12
Savannah - September 2, November 2, January 18, February 15 and April 5
for more information, visit scad.edu
Huntingdon College Host Days
Saturday, March 1
to register call (800) 763-0313
Important Dates at Auburn
Mark your calendar if you have interest in any of these programs:
Addmission to Auburn - visit www.auburn.edu/apply
- deadline for scholarship consideration is December 1, 2013
College of Agriculture Visit Days
There are several generous Ag scholarships at Auburn (some for minority students, first generation students, etc.). Get online and explore!
Auburn University Montgomery - Bridge Program -
If you are not traditionally eligible for admission at large four year schools, AUM offers a bridge program for one semester that is designed to meet your needs. Requirements of the program are a 2.3 GPA and 17 or higher on ACT. Application deadlines are April 1 for summer term, June 1 for fall term, and October 1 for spring term.
UAH (University of Alabama Huntsville) Honors Program -
A brochure is available from this website by returning to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and scholarships. For additional information or to schedule a visit visit www.uah.edu
or call 256-824-2773. There will be a "meet and greet" information session on November 9. Visit honors.uah.edu for information or contact Bethany Wilson to reserve a space at the event (
JACKSONVILLE STATE UNIVERSITY ADMISSIONS AND SCHOLARSHIP INFO
Check out the latest information from JSU. You may download a copy of their current admission and scholarship information by returning to the homepage of this site, click on parent/student resources, click on guidance, then scholarships/information. JSU offers 37 undergraduate degree programs, the most popular of which are education, business, nursing, criminal justice, pre-professional biology, and social work. Some of the fastest-growing programs include computer science, technology/applied engineering and emergency management.
COLLEGE SCHOLARSHIPS/FINANCIAL AID
Need Help Paying for College? Burger King McLamore Foundation Scholarship - Up to $50,000 available in scholarship dollars. Students must have a GPA of 2.5 or better. Visit www.bkmclamorefoundation.org/WhatWeDo/ScholarsProgram for details and to apply. The deadline to apply is January 10, 2014.
CollegeCountsAlabama Scholarship - If you have a GPA of 2.75 or better and can demonstrate financial need. Visit www.CollegeCountsAlabama.com for details and to apply. The deadline is March 19, 2014.
Playing With Purpose Scholarship Program Award - Now accepting applications. $14,000 of scholarships will be available to Christian Student Athletes. Must be a high school sophomore, junior, or senior, varsity athlete, 2.0 GPA or better, and committed follower of Christ. To get additional information and to apply, visit www.playingwithpurpose.org. The deadline to apply is February 1, 2014.
Miss Alabama's Outstanding Teen Pageant - An official pageant of the Miss America Scholarship Program. Scholarship money is available for winners and alternates in this pageant. The deadline to enter is December 10th. Visit www.outstandingteen.homestead.com or call 205-223-5127 for complete details.
AXA Achievement Scholarships - Are you active in your community? Have you led a project that benefits others? Have you overcome personal challenges? Apply for one of these scholarships ($10,000 or $25,000 ). Each state will have a winner. The deadline to apply is December 15 for the Achievement Scholarship and February 1 for the Achievement Community Scholarship. visit www.axa-achievement.com to learn more or apply.
GE-Reagan Foundation Scholarship Program - Nationally, up to 20 students are awarded for exemplary leadership, drive, integrity, and citizenship. Scholarship is $10,000 per recipient renewable for four years. Applications and information can be accessed at email@example.com. The deadline to apply online is January 9, 2014.
The University of Alabama Department of Theatre and Dance invites all students interested in pursuing a degree in Theatre to audition. Auditions take place on Saturday, November 16, 2013 (registration materials are due by Monday, November 11) and Saturday, January 25, 2014 (registration materials are due by Monday, January 20). To download more information and the application packet, return to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, click on guidance, then scholarships/information.
BigSun Scholarship - BigSun Organization is offering a scholarship to high school athletes. The amount of the award is $500. The deadline to apply is June 20, 2014. Must be a high school athlete no matter what sport.
AUM School of Business Scholarship Tournament - January 25, 2014. If you are interested in entering this scholarship tournament, come by Mrs. Coleman's office to pick up an application. The scholarships awarded are to AUM only. Deadline to apply is January 17, 2014.
Jackie Robinson Scholarship - Available on the web on November 1st, 2013. Completed applications are due by February 15, 2014. Must be a graduating minority senior planning to attend an accredited and approved four-year institution within in the U.S. Also must show leadership potential, demonstrated community serviced and evidence of financial need. Applications available at www.jackierobinson.org
2014 John F. Kennedy Profile in Courage Essay Contest - One national winner will receive $10,000 and an expense-paid trip to Boston. Second place receives $1,000 and up to five finalists receive $500 each. It takes courage to stand up for your beliefs. Some elected officials risk their careers to do right by their community and country. In Profiles in Courage, John F. Kennedy described eight U.S. elected officials who demonstrated political courage. Here's your change to write a new profile in courage. Visit jfklibrary.org for contest information, registration and to submit your essay. The deadline for submission is January 6, 2014 .
Auburn Chemical Engineering Scholarships - If you are planning to pursue chemical engineering at Auburn, visit http://www.auburn.edu/scholarship/ausom for more information. Applications for consideration for departmental scholarships must be completed by March 1.
University of Mobile - Students can be eligible for a $2000 scholarship by registering for and attending University of Mobile Visit Days. visit www.umobile.edu for more information.
Coca-Cola's Leaders of Promise Scholarship - Scholarship program administered by Phi Theta Kappa and used for students applying to community colleges. Apply between October 1 and December 2, 2013 at www.ptk.org.
Interested in LSU (don't tell your Crimson Tide friends...) - Scholarship information can be downloaded by returning to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, click on guidance, then scholarships/information.
Tuscaloosa Teachers Credit Union/Charter Media - Tuscaloosa Area Star Senior Award Program - Area Seniors are invited to submit an application to be named the Tuscaloosa Area Star Senior. There will be several nomination periods during the school year. The next deadline is February 17, 2014. Congratulations to Camille White for being chosen the first winner this year! The application materials can be accessed by returning to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, click on guidance, then scholarships/information. Please type as your application will be submitted as it is received. We always have a winner!
Smith Scholarship Foundation
- Smith Scholarships are available to students who have exhibited a dedication and sense of integrity through their volunteer, community service work or assistance to their family. The Smith Foundation is looking for students who have struggled against the odds whether it is financial, home life or disabilities and proven they are willing to help those around them. The qualifications include: Must have a 2.0 GPA, planning to attend an accredited four year college in Alabama (nursing majors may attend accredited two year college) and have made a significant contribution to family and/or community. Applications are available at www.smithscholarships.com
and will be open from August 15-January 15, 2014
. This is a "last dollar scholarship" applied after all scholarships and financial aid up to $15,000 per year renewable for four years. More information and frequently asked questions and answers may be accessed by returning to the homepage of this webiste, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and scholarships/information.
ABC 33/40 "First Class" Student of the Week - If you are interested in being nominated for the ABC 33/40 First Class Student of the Week, complete the brief application and return to Mrs. Coleman by Friday of each week. If you are selected, your nomination will be made for the following week. There will be a weekly winner until February 4th, 2014. To access the application, return to the homepage of this website, click on parent/student resources, click on guidance, and scholarship applications/information. Congratulations to Callie Blocker......who has been chosen to be the First Class Student of the Week!!!
Savannah College of Art & Design (SCAD)
- Scholarship Competition
Fashion - January 24, 2013
Paul Mitchell Schools Scholarship - If you are considering Paul Mitchell programs, please read carefully about scholarship opportunities. The information and application forms can be dowloaded by returning to the home page, click on parent/student resources, guidance, and forms. The deadlines are one month prior to enrollment.
Other Helpful Info
Great Resources for College Info,
Scholarships, Financial Aid, Etc.
Alabama State - Jarred Twitty - 334-229-4823 - Jtwitty@alasu.edu
Auburn University - Evan Hicks - 334-844-6530 - firstname.lastname@example.org
Stillman College - Demetrius Castleberry - 205-247-8108 - email@example.com
Federal Financial Aid - FAFSA4Caster - Measure your eligibility for Federal Student Financial Aid by visiting fafsa4caster.ed.gov. The application for financial aid for the fall of 2011 does not open until January, but you can begin to learn about the process now! For additional information, visit fafsa.gov.
The Christian Connector - website devoted to providing Chritian college information and scholarship - visti www.ChristianConnector.com.
· Scholarship Matching -Sites like Scholarships.com and ScholarshipExperts.com will automatically find scholarships you could be eligible for. Simply fill out a free profile and discover new scholarship opportunities. At CollegeWeekLive, you can research $2.5 million in need and merit based aid from hundreds of participating colleges.
· Major Matching -Discover which majors match your personality and career goals with online quizzes. You can find a free one here. - http://homeworktips.about.com/library/maj/bl_majors_quiz.htm.
- Veterans Administration Benefits - Children of veterans who have died in service or as a result of service-connected disability; who have become permanently and totally disabled as a result of service-connected disability; or who have been listed as missing in action, captured, detained, or interned in line of duty for more than 90 days, may apply for government assistance for college at the local office of Veterans Affairs.
- ACT - The easiest way to register is at http://www.act.org/.
· Planning on college?
Sign-Up for www.CollegeWeekLive.com, the world's largest college fair and online admissions event website. It's free and supported by the U.S. Department of Education Federal Student Aid office. Register now for free.
At CollegeWeekLive, you can . . .
· Chat live with admissions reps from 300+ colleges- show your interest!
· Find $2.5+ million in financial aid & scholarships from participating colleges
· Hear what campus life is like via student video webcasts from favorite schools
· Get great admissions advice from experts presenting live via video on topics like
"How to write a college application essay" and "How to find scholarships."
· Be eligible to win a $10,000 scholarship from CollegeWeekLive just for logging in!
ATHLETIC ELIGIBILITY - If you are considering participation in collegiate sports, please visit ncaa.org to complete an application for eligibility.