Jaime Guffey(205) 342-2939 Ext #3Welcome to the School Counseling Program at Taylorville Primary
Facebook Page- @tpscounseling
Taylorville Primary School Counseling Vision Statement:
The vision of the Taylorville Primary School comprehensive school program is that all students love and respect others, work as a team and build healthy, lasting, relationships. They will successfully master career, academic, and social/emotional skills during their time at TPS. Students will be prepared to confidently navigate the ever-changing world around them, whether they pursue a college education or go into the workforce.
Taylorville Primary School Mission Statement:
At TPS, we show love and respect as we grow a team of leaders.
Taylorville Primary School Counseling Mission Statement
The mission of the Taylorville Primary School counseling program is to prepare all students for success by implementing a data-informed comprehensive, school-wide counseling program that promotes mastery in the areas of academic, career, and social/emotional domains.
What does the school counselor do?
· Teaches lessons in all classrooms on a monthly basis
· Meets with students who want to get help solving a problem or chat about something on their minds
· Facilitates small groups for students on topics like grief and anger management
· Consults with parents and teachers on topics like parenting, discipline, building strong families, and students’ academic, emotional, and social success in school
· Helps families connect with community resources
· Coordinates our school’s character education program
· Organizes school-wide service learning projects· Serves on our school’s Problem-Solving Team (PST)· Works with teachers, administrators, and parents to develop and implement the school counseling programWhat topics are taught in classroom lessons?
· Emotions and coping skills
· Conflict resolution
· Friendship/social skills
· Career exploration
· Respecting individual differences
· Character (responsibility, perseverance, trustworthiness, etc.)
· Personal safety
· Cooperation and teamwork
· Academic readiness and skills for learning
· And many more! Ask me if you’d like a complete list of standards or download the “Guidance Curriculum Scope & Sequence” on the Alabama State Department of Education website.What do we do in small group and individual meetings?
· Talk about little things, big things, or anything in between
· Read books or draw pictures to discuss concepts
· Play with games, puppets, and toys to connect, communicate, or practice skills
· Offer support and encouragement
· Build confidence
· Develop problem-solving abilities
· Teach coping, social, or other needed skills· Give children the opportunity to connect with other students having similar experiencesWhen should I contact the school counselor?Please don’t hesitate to call or email if I can help your child or your family with anything, especially if you have questions or concerns about the following:
· Your child’s emotional well-being
· Stress or changes at home
· Your child’s relations with peers
· Your child’s behavior/accountability
· Books or ideas on parenting or building a strong family
· Getting help from resources in the community
· Being a parent volunteer! I would love help with service projects, Career Day, the Counseling Advisory Committee, or other aspects of our counseling program!