Changes are coming to Walker Elementary!!
Thanks to Commissioner, Stan Acker, our children, parents, and visitors will be much safer and we will have more parking!
See below for the specifics:
(1) 38 parking spaces across Northside Road will be removed and will be replaced (2) with a new 45 parking space lot on the side of the connector road between the School and the PARA park. (3) A new sidewalk from the existing PARA lot will also be built and the (4) drainage issues in the existing parking lot in front of the school will be addressed and the lot itself being re-striped as a final step.
2020 Alabama Summer Learning Challenge
For an exciting eighth year, ALSDE has partnered with some of the country’s leading education organizations to “minimize the summer learning slide.”
The 2020 Alabama Summer Learning Challenge is being held May 18 until July 31. There are “tons” of FREE learning resources for students to use.
Alabama parents now have access to many great online resources, which can help continue their child’s learning and skill building throughout the summer – while they are away from the classroom:
- Big Universe - 18,000+ eBooks and essential literacy tools
- Lexile and Find a Book Alabama – Customizable book-search tool, which allows students to build fantastic individual-reading lists
- Stride - Cool blend of online math, reading, language arts, and science practice for every student interest
- Fuel Education – Great personalized learning activities for all students!
- MetaMetrics and Quantile are presenting the 2020 Summer Math Challenge!
- Learn at Home with Alabama Public Television (APT) – great education resources and videos
- Local and Statewide Library Media resources
- Many more summer learning resources for students and parents to use!
The 2020 Summer Learning Challenge webpage is located at https://www.alsde.edu/sec/comm/Pages/summer-learning.aspx
Parents: Be on the lookout for an email from tcss_enroll with a link to fill in Infosnap/Returning Student Registration. It is very important that all students register with this program so that the class roles can be made for the 2020-2021 school year.
Grab and Go breakfast/lunch pick-up will continue through the summer. Our local pick-up is at Northside High but you can go to any site. Note that one meal will be given to each child in the car under 18 years of age.
-Serving time: 10:30-1:30
-Receive 5 days worth of meals (10 meals total)
Parents and students: To find resources from your teacher during this time, look at the top of the page under "For Students and Families" and then click "Spring 2020 Resources".