Through a partnership between the Adult Education Department of the Alabama Community College System (ACCS) and the Alabama State Department of Education (ALSDE), the Alabama Non-Traditional High School Diploma Option (HSDO) Program has been designed.The HSDO Program is designed for Alabama public school students who have previously dropped out of the traditional high school setting or for students who have completed all of the required credits needed for graduation but were unsuccessful in completing one or more sections of the Alabama High School Graduation Examination.The program provides two options:Option 1 - For a former student who attended an Alabama high school and completed all of the required credits needed for graduation; however, the student did not pass all sections of the Alabama High School Graduation Exam (AHSGE).Eligibility for Option 1
Option 2 - For a former student who earned a minimum of 10 or more credits from an Alabama high school and requires additional credits needed for graduation.Eligibility for Option 2
- Participant must have completed the required number of credits to graduate from a high school in the Tuscaloosa County School System. The graduation requirements established when the participant was enrolled in high school will be those used to determine eligibility.
- Did not receive a passing score on one or more sections of the AHSGE
- Participant must have completed a minimum of 10 credits required to graduate from a high school in the Tuscaloosa County School System. The graduation requirements established when the participant was enrolled in high school will be those used to determine eligibility.
- Student must be a minimum age of 19.
- Participant must be assessed on the Test for Adult Basic Education (TABE).
- Score must be in the High Intermediate Level (grade equivalency 6.0 or higher).
Former students who wish to pursue the Alabama High School Diploma through the Non-Traditional High School Diploma Option Program should do the following:
- Request a copy of your high school transcript and AHSGE scores (if applicable). The link for all records requests is Alumni Transcript Request/Verification.
- Complete the Non-Traditional High School Diploma Options Transcript Request Form (page 11) in its entirety.
- Bring the records provided by Need My Transcript to Mrs. Jackie Hudgins at the TCSS Central Office. Mrs. Hudgins may be reached at 205-342-2739.
- A transcript audit will be performed by Mrs. Hudgins. Once the transcript audit is complete and eligibility for the program has been determined by Mrs. Hudgins, all records will be submitted to Mr. Phillip Johnson and Mrs. Kristen Bobo at Adult Education at Shelton State Community College (or to the Alabama Community College of your choice).
- A meeting with Mr. Johnson and/or Mrs. Bobo will be established. Mr. Johnson may be reached at 205-391-2665. Mrs. Bobo may be reached at 205-391-2638.
- During the meeting, the eligibility forms will be finalized, a plan of instruction will be developed, and the participant will be able to begin the program.