NEW HIRE INFORMATION for THE 2020-2021 SCHOOL YEAR
Welcome to the Tuscaloosa County School System! Because of COVID-19, we cannot provide our usual face-to-face paperwork or orientation process to our new employees. We are very sorry about this, as we are excited you are with us and we would have enjoyed meeting you in a face-to-face setting. We have attempted to streamline our paperwork process and other new employee information in one place for you to review and complete.
It is very important that you follow all of the directions included on this website and on your new hire checklist. Failure to do so may negatively impact your health insurance, pay, and other benefits. Links to required paperwork and other information are in blue.
NEW EMPLOYEE INSTRUCTIONS
PART I – ENROLL IN THE TCSS EMPLOYEE SELF-SERVICE PORTAL
- Go to the EMPLOYEE SELF-SERVICE PAGE on our tcss.net website.
- There are two links on the page. One is a PowerPoint presentation that provides you with directions on how to enroll. The other contains a link to the Employee Self-Service Portal.
- The Employee Self-Service Portal is where you will view your paystubs and other payroll records. You can also change your address using the online portal.
- Before you get started, you will need your Employee ID Number. It has been mailed and emailed to you, but if you cannot locate it, contact your local school bookkeeper.
- Follow the instructions in the Employee Self-Service Enrollment Directions PowerPoint carefully.
- Once registered, you will receive a confirmation email. You MUST go to that email and click the link to confirm your enrollment. It is a gmail account, but it is valid. If you do not receive this email, check your SPAM/Junk folder in your email.
- Verify that your name and all personal information, particularly your mailing address, is accurate. Follow the instructions to correct any errors.
- If you have any problems with your enrollment in ESS, contact Michelle Townsend at email@example.com.
PART II – COMPLETION OF HUMAN RESOURCES and PAYROLL PAPERWORK
- Complete all forms included in the NEW HIRE PAPERWORK PACKET (16 pages/you will need to print your own copy)
- Submit your completed paperwork to your building principal or workplace supervisor AFTER you have completed all of the steps required of you on this website.
- Please schedule an appointment before dropping off paperwork.
- You will need to take your social security card and valid driver’s license with you so that they can make a copy for purposes of verifying your employment eligibility (I-9).
- You will have a picture made at that time for your TCSS employee badge.
PART III – VIEW THE HEALTH INSURANCE AND BENEFITS POWERPOINT TO REVIEW YOUR BENEFIT OPTIONS AND SCHEDULE AN APPOINTMENT WITH AMERICAN FIDELITY. THEIR REPRESENTATIVES WILL ASSIST YOU WITH HEALTH INSURANCE ENROLLMENT AND OTHER EMPLOYEE BENEFITS. This is CRITICAL for enrollment in PEEHIP as you only have 30 days from the start date of your employment to enroll. The link to schedule your virtual appointment is at the end of the PowerPoint. YOU MUST OPEN THE POWERPOINT AND VIEW IT AS A SLIDESHOW FOR THE LINKS TO VIDEOS AND TO AMERICAN FIDELITY TO WORK. If you only scan through the slides, the link will not open. You may also access the link to sign-up for ayour appointment at https://enroll.americanfidelity.com/C738D86B
- If you have difficulty scheduling an appointment with American Fidelity, email Scott Grimsley at firstname.lastname@example.org or call American Fidelity at 205-242-3339.
- If you have specific questions regarding PEEHIP, contact Janice Flanigan, TCSS Payroll, at email@example.com.
PART IV – COMPLETE “ERIN’S LAW” TRAINING. Click on the link to "Courses" in the left side of the website. Submit your Certificate of Completion to Pam Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
PART V – SUBMIT ANY OTHER APPLICABLE DOCUMENTS to HUMAN RESOURCES.
- Email any other required documents to email@example.com.
- If you have prior work experience, submit written verification. For certified/administrative personnel, request that an ALSDE EXP form be completed and sent to us. For classified personnel, we need written verification and contact information on your employer’s letterhead.
- If you hold National Board Certification, provide us with a copy of your certificate.
- If transcripts are required (certified and instructional support), we will need two official transcripts, with your degree posted
PART VI - REVIEW THE APPROPRIATE NEW EMPLOYEE ORIENTATION POWERPOINT
- 2020-2021 Classified Personnel New Employee Orientation
- 2020-2021 Certified Personnel New Employee Orientation
TO ACCESS ANY POLICIES YOU ARE REQUIRED TO REVIEW, CLICK ON THE LINKS BELOW
- Policy 3.43 - Prohibition of Sexual Harassment
- Policy 6.41 - Employee Grievances
- Policy 5.90 - Technology Acceptable Use
- Policy 6.70 - Notification of Leave and Types of Absence
- You may access all specific leave policies, 6.70.1 - 6.70.11, through the Board Policy Manual.
TCSS Central Office Hours - Monday-Friday 8:00a.m.- 4:30p.m. BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
1118 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401