Academic Calendar for 2019-2020 SURVEY OPTIONS
Parents and employees are invited to participate in a survey to provide feedback on two academic calendar options for the 2019-2020 school year. The calendar survey will be open until noon on Friday, January 18th. These options were developed by a committee composed of certified faculty members, classified staff, and parents.
Much of the guidance for these options were a result of our pre-calendar survey conducted this past fall. Once the results of that survey were reviewed, the parameters for this upcoming year’s calendar were pretty clear. Key results are listed below.
- Respondents included 1.92% students; 47.93% parents; 18.72% employee parents; and 31.43% employees.
- Over 65% wanted employees to begin the first week of August, students the second week of August and to have everyone dismissed for summer before Memorial Day.
- 57% wanted a full week for Thanksgiving holidays.
- 82% thought Fall Break was okay to have or a great need.
- Coordination of starting of school or ending of school with the Tuscaloosa City School System was not important (51%).
- Coordination with the Tuscaloosa City School System and the University of Alabama for Spring Break was important (35%) or okay if possible (27%).
- Identified priorities were: (a) having two weeks for Winter break; (b) ending school before Memorial Day; and (c) having a fall break.
At the conclusion of the survey window (noon on Friday, January 18th), results will be compiled. Dr. Davie will make a recommendation to the Board of Education for a 2019-2020 calendar at its January 28th meeting.
To view the two calendar options, please click on the links below.
In order to take the survey, please click here. Thanks for your interest and feedback!