February 12, 2019
2019-2020 TCSS Academic Calendar Approved
In its February 11 meeting, the Tuscaloosa County Board of Education approved the 2019-2020 Academic Calendar for the Tuscaloosa County School System. Click here to view the approved calendar. The calendar was developed with input gathered through several steps:
- A survey open to all parents, employees and students was conducted October-November 2018. Respondents were provided information about state legal requirements and educational considerations that impact the academic calendar, and then asked to provide responses with that information in mind. A summary of results from the October-November 2018 Calendar Survey is included below.
- Guided by the survey results, a committee of TCSS educators, educational support staff and parents developed two calendar options.
- A second survey open to all parents, employees and students was conducted in January 2019. This survey presented the two calendar options. The Superintendent recommended the option with the greater number of votes to the Board for approval.
Summary of Results from October-November 2018 Calendar Survey
- Respondents included 1.92% students; 47.93% parents; 18.72% employee parents; and 31.43% employees.
- Over 65% wanted employees to begin the first week of August, students the second week of August and to have everyone dismissed for summer before Memorial Day.
- 57% wanted a full week for Thanksgiving holidays.
- 82% thought Fall Break was okay to have or a great need.
- Coordination of starting of school or ending of school with the Tuscaloosa City School System was not important (51%).
- Coordination with the Tuscaloosa City School System and the University of Alabama for Spring Break was important (35%) or okay if possible (27%).
- Identified priorities were: (a) having two weeks for Winter break; (b) ending school before Memorial Day; and (c) having a fall break.