State Report Card Information
Announcement: Remarks regarding the 2017-2018 Alabama State Report Card for Buhl Elementary
Prepared by: Vanessa Clay, principal
On December 28, 2018, the State of Alabama released scores for the State Report Card. The Tuscaloosa County School System received an overall score of 77. Buhl Elementary received an overall score of 74.
The 2016-2017 score was based on the results from the State Assessment, ACT Aspire. The 2017-2018 score is based on results from the State Assessment, Scantron.
The 2017-2018 score is a composite of a Reading/English score of 77 and a Math score of 77 (Academic Achievement), a Reading/English score of 76 and a Math score of 61 (Academic Growth), and a Chronic Absenteeism (students who are absent 15 or more days- excused/unexcused- per year) score of 12.27/15.
Steps for Improvement:
• Teachers are receiving additional professional development through a partnership with AMSTI (Alabama Math Science Technology Initiative). Math specialists meet with our teachers during half-day planning every nine weeks. These specialists also co-teach, provide support in strengthening instruction of math standards, and meet with our teachers on a weekly basis.
• Teachers are receiving half-day coaching and additional professional development with the Instructional Partner who focuses professional development on the English Language Standards. The Instructional Partner also provides strategies and identifies next-steps for students who struggle with foundational and comprehension skills in reading.
• All K and 1st grade teachers implement the SPIRE Intervention Program during school wide acceleration for students lacking foundational skills.
• ALL teachers are now AMSTI trained in Math and Science.
• Additional reading and math teaching resources have been purchased with Title One Funding.