Information on COVID-19 Reporting & Exposure Notification
If your student tests positive for COVID-19, please follow these steps:
- Report the positive test to your child’s school administrator or school nurse.
- Students diagnosed positive for COVID-19 must stay home for minimum of 10 days from onset of symptoms. If asymptomatic, they must stay home 10 days from the date of the positive test.
- Conditions that must be met to return to school:
- After the 10-day period has passed, the student must be fever-free for at least 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing medication, and
- Have improvement in respiratory symptoms, including cough and/or shortness of breath.
When will you be notified about a COVID-19 case in your student's school?
Parents and guardians will receive a letter from their student's school, if there is reported positive case of COVID-19 in one of the student's classes or on the student's bus. The letter will provide further information. Families should contact their healthcare provider or Alabama Department of Public Health for additional guidance.
- TCSS strongly recommends that everyone wear a mask in our schools. Based on the guidance of the most recent ADPH toolkit for schools, if an individual is wearing a mask, the likelihood of isolation or quarantine is minimized.
- Due to federal requirements, masks are required for anyone on a school bus.
- Medical experts stress that vaccination is our best tool in ending the COVID-19 pandemic. Vaccinations are available to anyone age 12 and over. For appointments or more information, visit the DCH System web site.
- Vaccination status is private health information and will not be reported or discussed with anyone.
- TCSS continues the sanitation practices referenced in our In-Person Learning Plan. We also continue encouraging personal hygiene practices that promote health.
- Keep your student home if they are not feeling well, have a fever or exhibit any COVID-19 symptoms.
- If you are keeping your student home due to illness or exposure, please notify your school.
- If someone in your student’s household tests positive for COVID-19, follow the recommendation of your doctor or ADPH regarding quarantine.
- Please stay close to the ways you receive official information from TCSS, for any updates on COVID-19 procedures.