On August 7, 1908, the State of Alabama purchased approximately one acre of land for $5.oo to build Big Sandy School.The original Big Sandy School opened in 1909. It was located on Highway 69 in the heart of the Big Sandy community. The school was the focal point of the community for fifty years. It hosted all types of social gatherings.When the school opened in 1909, it served twelve grades with one teacher. The teacher was also the acting principal. In the 1930's, students from Big Sandy in grades 7-12 attended Tuscaloosa County High School in Northport, Alabama, leaving grades 1-6 at Big Sandy. The school closed with the graduation of its sixth grade class in 1959.In the Fall of 1959, Big Sandy School consolidated with Taylorville's community school into the new Englewood Elementary School.In the summer of 1970, the section of Alabama Highway 69 that ran through the heart of the Big Sandy community was relocated to its current location, essentially taking the Big Sandy community off the map. The section of old Highway 69 was then renamed Old Greensboro Road. Today, the late Watson Wyatt's Phillips 66 service station building occupies the spot where the original Big Sandy School stood through its fifty year history.