Welcome to the Echols Middle School Library Media Center
Mrs. Jennifer Dabbs, Library Media Specialist
The mission of the Echols Middle School Library Media Center is to provide an environment where lifelong habits of learning, self-improvement and self-expression are encouraged and where patrons can meet their educational, informational and recreational needs. The Library Media Center responds to the needs of users by providing a clean and inviting media center, well-organized and up-to-date collections, and friendly help from the library staff.The EMS Library Media Center supports the Alabama State Course of Study, the basis of our school curriculum program and its publication Alabama's Library Media Handbook for the 21st Century Learner, as well as Empowering Learners: Guidelines for School Library Media Programs, published by the American Association of School Librarians and the American Library Association. In addition, the Library Media Center endorses the literacy principles of the 2008 Standards of the 21st Century Learner of the American Association of School Librarians.
- Class and individual instruction
- Booktalks and personal reading guidance
- Automated catalog and circulation system
- Internet access
- Copier service
- Classroom equipment service
- Research assistance
- Media production: laminating, recording, videotaping
- Computers for word processing, publications, presentations, etc.
- Purchasing and processing of new materials
- Students may come to the library any period of the day with their class or if they have a pass from the teacher.
- Students may check out two books at a time.
- Books are due two weeks from the day they are checked out.
- Overdue books accrue fines at a rate of ten cents per day.
- If a book is lost by a student, the cost is $25.00 to replace a hardback book and $10.00 for a paperback.
Echols Middle School Library Media Center hours: 7:45 a.m. to 3:15 p.m., Monday through Friday