The Hillcrest High Community Leadership Team is a program designed to provide the motivated high school student with the opportunity to engage in deliberative discussions of local, state, and national issues, and to participate in a variety of forms of community activities and service. The Hillcrest High School Student Team will meet on a monthly basis throughout the school year.
The primary purpose of the Hillcrest Community Leadership Program is to identify and select students who demonstrate the potential for and commitment to:
- acquiring an understanding and working knowledge of the role and responsibility of citizen participation in our society.
- promoting the principles of deliberation and public action throughout the school and the community.
- engaging in leadership-building activities that will lead to continued civic participation as adults.
- encouraging a commitment to community service in others through interaction with community leaders and organizations.
The Hillcrest Community Leadership Program is designed to provide highly motivated and committed students with the opportunity to:
- develop a successful and sustainable core group of student-citizens to implement the principles of deliberation.
- analyze the characteristics of effective leadership through the study and observation of functioning community organizations.
- offer themselves to assume leadership positions in school and community organizations.
- interact with local service agencies that rely on volunteers to meet the critical needs of the community.
Student Requirements for Acceptance into the Leadership Program:
Student selection will be based on the following criteria:
- Interview-Conducted by former Team members and community leaders
- Teacher recommendations· G.P.A.-3.0
- Membership and or leadership in school service organizations
- Active existing community service (for example: Scouting, volunteering at local organizations such as Children's Hands on Museum, DCH Regional Medical Center or Metro Animal Shelter, participating in church activities)
- Attendance/no record of discipline problems