Today, our state is officially kicking-off the 2020 Alabama Summer Learning Challenge!
For an exciting eighth year, ALSDE has partnered with some of the country’s leading education organizations to “minimize the summer learning slide.”
The 2020 Alabama Summer Learning Challenge is being held May 18 until July 31. There are “tons” of FREE learning resources for students to use.
Alabama parents now have access to many great online resources, which can help continue their child’s learning and skill building throughout the summer – while they are away from the classroom:
- Big Universe - 18,000+ eBooks and essential literacy tools
- Lexile and Find a Book Alabama – Customizable book-search tool, which allows students to build fantastic individual-reading lists
- Stride - Cool blend of online math, reading, language arts, and science practice for every student interest
- Fuel Education – Great personalized learning activities for all students!
- MetaMetrics and Quantile are presenting the 2020 Summer Math Challenge!
- Learn at Home with Alabama Public Television (APT) – great education resources and videos
- Local and Statewide Library Media resources
- Many more summer learning resources for students and parents to use!
The 2020 Summer Learning Challenge webpage is located at https://www.alsde.edu/sec/comm/Pages/summer-learning.aspx
Also, see the official news release and information
GRADES 9-11 StudentsTo our Wildcat Families,We hope that you are well and safe during this time. Grades 9 - 11 will return textbooks and pickup any belongings that they may have inside the school on Tuesday, May 19 from 9 to 11:30 am. If you need to come inside the school, you will need to call the school on Monday, May 18 and set up an appointment for May 19 between 9 and 11:30 am. Due to social distancing we can only have so many students inside the school at a time, and onlyl 10 students are allowed in at once. Students will only be allowed to go retrieve their belongings and then exit the building. Thank you for your understanding in this matter. Please continue to stay safe and as always, GO WILDCATS!!!
Virtual Graduation Ceremony Guidelines
I hope all is well with each of you and you are staying safe. The administration, faculty, and staff are so proud of you and your accomplishments. We have no doubts that you all are going to have great futures ahead of you. Please see below the timeframe for you to come to the school to do your recording for the Virtual Graduation Ceremony. If you need to pick up your cap & gown from Jostens, please contact Scott Moore at 205-233-1945 to set up a time. If you did not pick up your stole or cord from the school, you will get it on the day of your recording.
On your scheduled day and time to report to the school’s gym, you will remain in your vehicle until a staff member lets you know to come into the building. All seniors should already be dressed in their cap and gown or professional clothing. No one will be allowed to accompany you into the school. After you receive your diploma and complete your recording, it is important to leave the building and campus quickly, to help us maintain necessary social distancing.
For any students who are taking the AP Macro Exam on May 21 and you are scheduled to do your recording on May 21, you may come on May 20 at 4:00 pm to do your recording. Unfortunately, we must follow the schedule below unless you have a doctor’s excuse. If so, you will come at 4:00 pm on May 20, or 3:00 pm on May 21, and you must present the doctor’s excuse.
The following are the times to report to TCHS gym’s south parking lot if your last name falls within the corresponding letter or last names. Ex: Last name Crater – your will come on May 20 at the 11 am timeframe. We need everyone to arrive 10 minutes early.
May 20, 2020
May 21, 2020
10 am – 11 am: A – Bur
10 am – 11 am: Levy – G. Minor
11 am – 12 pm: Bush – E. Davis
11 am – 12 pm: J. Minor - Reed
1 pm – 2 pm: J. Davis - Gowdy
1 pm – 2 pm: Reese – R. Smith
2 pm – 3 pm: Grammer - Hun
2 pm – 3 pm: Sp - Wed
3 pm – 4 pm: Hut - Leverette
3 pm – 4 pm: Wel – Z
4 pm: Approved recordings only
3 pm: Approved recordings if not Wel - Z
“CONGRATULATIONS CLASS OF 2020”
We hope that you and your families are doing well. The following are some guidelines, dates, and times to help you as you prepare to move forward.
- Recorded Graduation Ceremony – Hopefully you received the call out from the Central Office. The dates for TCHS recordings will be Wednesday and Thursday, May 20 and 21, 2020. Go to countyhigh.com, click on Coronavirus Information, click on May Recorded Graduation Celebration for more information. We will do a call out and post the time for students to do their recording to the school’s website as soon as we have the logistics from the recording company.
- Seniors may come to the school on Thursday, May 7, 2020 from 9 am to 12 noon to pick up their graduation stole, turn in all textbooks, and pick up any belonging they may have left at the school.
- To pick up your stole, students or parents will drive through the bus lane at the back of the school.
- To turn in textbooks, students or parents will turn in books at the back of the school in the bus lane in the designated area.
- Seniors who need to pick up belongings in the building will go to the North Parking Lot and will remain in their cars until a teacher or administration directs them to come into the building.
- Seniors who still need to pick up their cap and gown from Jostens may contact Scott Moore at 205-233-1945 for assistance.
TCHS Students & Faculty Support Faucett-Vestavia Elementary during Read Across America
TCHS appreciates our Adopt-A-School partners, Wells Fargo Bank and FIS Global. Wells Fargo and FIS Global support the TCHS faculty, staff, and students through service and monetary support that provide grounds upkeep, student incentives, and student recognitions such as Student of the Month lunches as well as a scholarship for a graduating senior. We are thankful for their partnership and support.