• General Requirements

    • The compulsory attendance law requires all children between the ages of six and seventeen (6 to 17) to attend school.
    • Children entering FIRST GRADE must be SIX YEARS OLD ON OR BEFORE SEPTEMBER 2.

    All students who seek to enroll in a school of the school system for the first time must present to the Principal the following documents:

    • an official birth certificate
    • proof of residence (falsification of residency is prohibited by Alabama Law [Section 13A-10-109])
    • recent report card or release from last school attended
    • copy of current immunization form
    • valid social security number
    • custody or guardianship papers, if applicable
    • verification from principal of transferring school that the student is not currently suspended or expelled
    • complete enrollment/transfer form

    NOTE:  Any student seventeen (17) years of age or older who has not registered within five (5) school days of the beginning of a new school term will be denied admission unless extenuating circumstances are approved by the Superintendent or his/her designee.  An exception can be made for a special education student in an Individual Education Plan (IEP) meeting (File: JBC).

    Residence and Attendance Zone Requirements (File: JBCA)
    The Principal shall determine the residence of a student based upon the residence of his/her parents or legal guardian.  If the Principal is unable to determine the residence of the student, assistance from the Coordinator of Student Services shall be requested.
    A legal residence within an appropriate school zone shall determine enrollment eligibility for the Tuscaloosa County School System.  Anytime the actual residence of a student comes into question, the Coordinator of Student Services or his/her designee may investigate and in his/her discretion, require additional proof of full-time, actual residency within the attendance zone or county, as the case may be.
    A student must attend the school(s) with the school zone in which his/her parent(s) or guardian(s) has established legal residence, except when school assignment has been approved as a part of the system-wide instructional program, under the employee transfer provision or when a senior whose parent(s) or guardian(s) establishes residence outside the area served by the School System or outside the school zone.  At the discretion of the parent(s) or guardian(s), the student may complete his/her senior year at the school he/she currently attends.  The School System shall not be responsible for the student's transportation.