In accordance with Alabama law, parents/guardians MUST explain the cause of every absence of students under their control or charge. Every student, upon return to school, MUST bring a written excuse from home within two days following the absence signed by the student's parent/guardian for each absence and present it ot the Principal or his.her designee. After a total of 10 absences in a school year for elementary and middle school students, the parent/guardian of student will be required to provide medical or legal documentation for absences to be excused. All written excuses shall be retained for the remainder of the school year in the Principal's office or other approved locations.
All student absences shall be designated as either excused or unexcused. In accordance with Alabama law, a student shall be excused for an absence from school for any ONE of the following reasons:
- personal illness of a student
- death in the immediate family
- inclement weather which would be dangerous to the life or health of the student as determined by the Principal
- legal quarantine or subpoena
- with prior permission of the Principal and consent of parent
- emergency conditions as determined by the Principal
- official religious holidays
Absence for reasons other than those defined above shall be considered as unexcused.
MAKE-UP WORK (EXCUSED ABSENCES)
If a student is absent for any excused reason as defined above, the student will be allowed to make up all major assignments and otehr work missed during said absence or absences at a time agreeable to the teacher. Teachers shall not be required to reteach lessons, but students shall be given a reasonable opportunity to learn the lessons missed due to excused absences. At the secondary level, the student shall be responsible for contacting the teacher or teachers to arrange to make up the work. Students shall have two days for each day of excused absence to complete and return make-up work.
MAKE-UP WORK: OUT OF SCHOOL SUSPENSION
Students in grades 6-8 will have two days from the last day of the suspension to turn in assignments to their teachers at their home school for a maximum of 65% of the original credit assigned. The student shall be responsible for contacting the teachers to arrange to make up work.
MAKE-UP WORK (UNEXCUSED ABSENCES)
Teachers may provide make-up work or exams for students absent for unexcused reasons. At their discretion, teachers may allow students absent up to three times a semester for unexcused reasons to make up any work for a maximu of 65% of the original credit assigned. Students will have two days for each day of absence to complete and return make-up work. The student shall be responsible for contacting the teacher to arrange to make up the work. Teachers will not automatically assign zeroes to students absent for unexcused reasons: zeroes may be assigned to such students only when graded assignments were given during days missed. Extenuating circumstances will be resolved at the discretion of the principal or designee.
- Each first period teacher must post attendance by 8:00 each morning. Students reporting to class after 7:53 a.m. must report to the office for a check-in slip.
- After a student is absent, he/she has two (2) days to bring a written excuse. The excuse should give the date of the absence, state the reason for the absence, and be signed by a parent/guardian. Excuses are to be brought to the front office after reporting to 1st period and getting permission. An absence slip will be given to the student to be initialed by the classroom teachers. After a total of 10 absences per year, the student will be required to provide medical or legal documentation in order for absences to be excused.
- Students absent from class over one half of the period are to be counted absent. Students with excused check-ins may make up work and are not counted tardy. Students without excused check-ins may not make up work and should be counted tardy.
- Once a student arrives on the school grounds, whether by public transportation, private vehicle, or walking, he is declared in school and must be check out through the office before leaving school grounds. Students riding public school buses are considered in school at the time the bus is boarded,
- Students should not leave the room during the class period without a detailed corridor pass and only in emergency cases.
TARDINESS AND TRUNECY
- Students arriving at school after 7:52 a.m. must report to the office for a check-in slip. A student is tardy if he/she is not in first period prior to the 7:52 a.m. bell and does not have an approved excuse.
- Students reporting late to any class without an excuse from the office are tardy.
NORTHSIDE MIDDLE SCHOOL TARDY PROCEDURES
1st Tardy Teacher warning
2nd Tardy Teacher Warning Conference
3rd Tardy Parent Contact by the teacher
4th Tardy After School Detention and Administrative Contact
6th Tardy After School Detention and Administrative Contact
8th Tardy After School Detention and Administrative Contact
10th Tardy AND Each additional tardy ISI and Parent Contact
Note: Tardies begin new each semester.