Congrats to Walker's 5th Graders! You have represented the school so well.
The BOB team finished 2nd place out of 17 elementary schools. If you are have a 4th grade student interested in Battle of the Books, this team begins in September.
The Robotics Team won a Design Award, finished 7th in Driver's and Code Skills and 9th overall in the state rankings. If you are have a 4th grade student interested in robotics, watch for information coming home before summer break.
Congratulations to Judd Sanford, who represented Walker Elementary School and Tuscaloosa County in the state level spelling bee. As you can see, he had some super-sized friends to cheer him on at the competition.
Book Fair March 25-29
Kindergarten RegistrationMarch 28th 9am - 2pmWalker Elementary School***Please bring the child registering for a brief assessment.Documents needed for registration:* an official birth certificate or other document for age verification purposes. (Examples: U.S. or foreign birth certificate; religious, hospital, or physician’s statement; baptismal certificate; adoption record; previously verified school records; or other record acceptable to the school principal).
* 2 proofs of residence (falsification of residency is prohibited by Alabama Law [Section 13A-10-109]) such as: current lease agreement or mortgage, utility bills-power, gas, or water). All documents must show the address of the physical residence and name of the parent or custodian. (P.O. boxes are not acceptable)
Students are required to live with a parent or legal guardian.
* copy of current immunization form
* valid social security card – providing a social security number for school enrollment purposes is completely voluntary
* custody or guardianship papers, if applicable______________________________________________________________
Remarks Regarding the 2017-2018 Alabama State Report Card for Walker Elementary
Prepared by: Marsha Johnson, Principal
On December 28th the State of Alabama released scores for the State Report Card. The Tuscaloosa County School System received an overall score of 77. Walker Elementary received an overall score of 77, a drop of 8 points below the 2016-2017 score of 85. The 2016-2017 score was based on the results from the State Assessment, ACT Aspire. The 2017-18 score is based on results from the State Assessment, Scantron.
The 2017-18 score is a composite of a Reading/English score of 73 and a Math score of 79 (Academic Achievement), a Reading/English score of 78 and a Math score of 70 (Academic Growth), and a Chronic Absenteeism (students who are absent 15 or more days – excused/unexcused – per year) score of 13/15.
Steps of Improvement:
- Our teachers are receiving additional professional development through a partnership with AMSTI. Math specialists meet with our teachers for half-day planning every nine weeks. These specialists also co-teach, provide support in strengthening instruction of the math standards, and meet with our teachers on a weekly basis.
- Our teachers are receiving half-day coaching and additional professional development with our Instructional Partner who specializes in the English Language Standards. The Instructional Partner also co-teaches, provides strategies and identifies next-steps for students who struggle with foundational and comprehension skills of reading.
- Additional reading and math teaching materials have been purchased with our Title I funding.
Scores from the 2018-19 Scantron benchmark assessments have already shown improvement in reading and in math scores. This is expected to be the trend for our spring assessment which will result in a higher score for the 2018-19 State Report Card.
Walker Elementary welcomed special visitors on Friday, September 28. Senator Greg Reed and Representative Kyle South presented the three Northside cluster schools with generous donations. Also pictured are Principals Marsha Johnson, Bobby Beasley and Tony Dunn along with School Board Nominee Joe Calvin, other community leaders, and four Walker Rambassadors, Julia Rice, Evan Taylor, Breanna Blankley and J.J. Case.
Our school is focusing on "The Essential 55 Workbook: Everything You Need to Help Your Child Succeed in School" by Ron Clark. Watch for rules and activities to work with your child to reinforce the rules.
Rule #1: When responding to any adult, your child should answer by saying, "Yes, ma'am" or "No, sir." It is not acceptable to just nod one's head or say only yes or no.
Rule #2: When speaking to friends, family members, teachers, and people in the community, does your child look the person in the eye, or does he look anywhere but at the person?
Rule#3: Help your child recognize that offering congratulations on both big and small moments can make others feel great.
Introducing Our New Adopt-A-School Partner
We are so excited to announce our partnership with Children and Teen Dental.
Look for great things to come as we work together to ensure that our students are happy, healthy and learning!
We are excited about our new outside lighting.
Thank you Jason Rutledge and Sequel Electric for the lighting!!!!
Your support is greatly appreciated at Walker Elementary!!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________Thank you Senator Greg Reed and Representative Kyle South for the generous donation to the children of Walker Elementary! Your continued support is greatly appreciated!!Pictured: Senator Greg Reed, Marsha Johnson, and Representative Kyle South
Online Lunch Forms
Lunch forms can now be completed online. Please click on the link to register. Only one form per household is needed.
If you need to use a computer, just stop by our parent center here at the school to get it done. Our office hours are 7:30 am - 3:00 pm Monday - Friday.
Guess what!!! Walker Elementary School is now Tweeting all over the place! Follow us on Twitter for important news and updates @WalkerRams!
Parents,We'd like to remind you that if you take a family trip for which your child will be absent from school, you must obtain prior approval from the principal in order for the absence to be excused. Thank you for your cooperation.
Look for current menus by clicking the button in the upper left of our page.