- Sipsey Valley Middle School
Student Dress Code
The Board and administration recognize the effects which student dress and grooming have upon student behavior and commitment to learning. The Board and administration further recognize the importance of personal rights and privileges of each individual student in the School System. However, individual rights stop where the rights of the group (the school) begin, and no student has the right to dress or appear in such a manner that disrupts the teaching-learning process.
The Board strongly believes it is the responsibility of students and parents or guardians to use reason, good judgement, and common decency in the choice of dress and physical grooming in the school setting.
Therefore, it is believed that the following dress and appearance standards are essential to the orderly operation of the schools in the School System on the basis of health, sanitation, safety, and prevention of disruptive appearances at school:
· Hats/caps/toboggans/sock caps/bandannas are not to be worn inside buildings.
· Dark glasses may be worn only with a doctor’s prescription.
· Care should be taken that shorts, skirts and dresses are appropriate for school. Shorts, skirts and dresses that are extremely tight fitting and/or unreasonable in length may not be worn.
· Belts and pants must be fastened at the waist. Overalls must be properly fastened and buttoned.
· Clothing or personal items associated with gang affiliation or activity is prohibited.
· Clothing should be in good taste for the age, maturity, and size of the student.
· Apparel that renders one’s appearance as suggestive or indecent is prohibited. No midriffs may be exposed at any time. No undergarments are to be exposed.
· Slogans, symbols, patches, and obscene writings which are disruptive or suggestive are prohibited.
The principal or his/her designee has the authority to determine inappropriate or unacceptable dress. When the dress or appearance of the individual student disrupts the teaching-learning process, the principal has the authority to take disciplinary action.