Parent Volunteer - Background Check
In order to best address the issues of screening/background checks for Volunteers in the Tuscaloosa County School System, we need to clearly define the different levels of volunteer work. Some of our volunteers help with clerical work, assist teachers with bulletin boards, tutor students, provide teachers with duty-free lunch, serve as chaperones on field trips, and assist with extracurricular programs. Some volunteers have minimal contact with students and are always under the supervision of a teacher, while other volunteers have direct contact with students with minimal supervision from a certified school employee. Consequently, the spectrum of volunteer work at the local school can be extremely broad. Three categories of volunteers were identified.
- Volunteer/visitors (level 1)who enter a school or one-time event of the school and have little or no direct unsupervised contact with children. Examples might include non-classroom assistants, PTA/Booster Club functions, guest speakers, Grandparent lunch day, etc.
- Volunteers with classroom exposure (level 2)who work with children as room parents, lunchroom monitors, classroom tutors and are always under the direct supervision of certified personnel.
- Volunteers with restricted exposure (level 3)to children and may be indirectly supervised by school staff. This may include student volunteers, interns, one-on-one tutors, overnight chaperones and extracurricular program volunteers.
Level 1 (RAPTOR SCREENING)
- Be sponsored or approved by a school or district employee.
- Provide some form of current government issued photo ID.
- Sign in on a “Volunteer/Visitor sign-in Program” at the school office
- Required to display a volunteer/visitor ID badge provided by the school
- All level one requirements
- Complete a volunteer orientation program with the building Principal/designee (at most schools, will be the teacher/club sponsor/coach coordinating the activity).
- If required, extracurricular program volunteers must comply with any applicable rules and/or regulations for that particular program (ie. AHSAA).
- All level one and two requirements
- A complete background check through Employment Screening Services ($15.00 and completed online). Each school should have a link to the online program on its homepage. A completed background check is emailed to the principal/designee at the school. Volunteers may receive a TCSS volunteer badge with a principal’s approval.