Back To School Information-Read Carefully
Westwood Elementary Back to School Information
Please read carefully!
We are so excited to start the 22-23 academic school year! Our theme this year is Let the Learning Adventure Begin. We have several new teachers and students. We want everyone to come out for Open House to meet their teacher! Hopefully this document will help with back to school information. We can’t wait to see you!
- Teacher/class lists for grades K-4 will be posted on the gym windows Friday, August 5th at 3:00 p.m.
- PK teachers will be emailing the parents who their student’s teachers are by Tuesday, August 2nd at 2:00 p.m. If you do not receive communication, you should reach out to the school. PK Mandatory Meeting will be Thursday, August 4th at 5:30 at Westwood.
- Open house will be Monday, August 8th. K, 2, and 4th grades will be from 5:30-6:15; 1st and 3rd from 6:15-7:00. This process is in place to help with traffic flow. PK is welcome to come back and visit should they wish. Please bring all school supplies this evening.
- Everyone needs to register for a My School Bucks account. The flyer with directions is attached. We will still accept cash or check. The online payment system is available for your convenience.
- During the first week of school, we are expecting all students to walk in independently. They will have plenty of support and adult supervision. Students will either come to school via bus or car rider. During the pandemic, visitors were not allowed to enter the building and we saw the multiple benefits for the students during the first days. The students were able to transition well and adjust to school routines and procedures. We will be taking pictures and sharing those with you! We appreciate your compliance and understanding with no parent entry to class the first days of school! I can promise you that if we need you, we will contact you.
- Beginning Monday, August 22nd, we will open the school for all visitors. You will have to check in the office first but we welcome you to help in your child’s classroom (with an appointment), eat lunch, or help volunteer in the school. We are so thankful to have your support, help, and company!
- We will have school t-shirts for sale should you wish to purchase one!
- PK and Kindergarten will have a staggered start August 10 and 11. Teachers will communicate which date will be your child’s first day of school. All PK and K students are expected to attend Friday, August 12.
- Attendance is critical! We need you here. Attendance counts toward the school’s report card. All attendance rules and procedures will be fully enacted this school year. Always send written documentation as to why your student was absent to your child’s teacher.
- Traffic flow is extremely important at Westwood. We are limited on parking and traffic waiting lanes. To prevent traffic bottlenecking, please do not turn left into the school parking lot from Highway 82. We ask that you go past the school and turn around in one of the church parking lots and then come back up Westwood School Road to turn right into car line drop off. Another option is to turn left off of Highway 82 at the Chevron station to come to the school. We will have Tuscaloosa County Sheriff’s assisting with enforcing these procedures. Once in the car line, we have 3-4 waiting lines. Take turns when pulling into the car rider drop off lane. We anticipate a few hiccups the first few days but have no doubt you’ll get the hang of it! Please make sure you have your car rider sign with your children’s names listed and posted every day! This applies to morning and afternoon procedures.
- Extended day services will begin Monday, August 15. Matt Andrews is the Extended Day Director. Everyone must register online. See the website for more information.
- All classroom communication will come through the School Status portal. It is important your information is entered correctly when you register.
YOU MUST REGISTER YOUR CHILDREN IN INFOSNAP! YOUR CHILD WILL NOT BE LISTED ON A CLASS ROLL IF YOU HAVE NOT REGISTERED, NOT SUBMITTED DOCUMENTS NEEDED, OR HAVE AN OUTSTANDING BALANCE.